Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday's Technique, Tool, or Tutorial...

This week I have a tutorial for you to try. At the beginning of this year I missed out on attending a Michelle Zindorff class here in Tucson, AZ. I just love her work and by way of Rachel Brumley's blog...I was able to learn one of her techniques that she teaches in her classes.
So let me fill you in on this "Brayer Technique"!

First of all you will need Glossy Card Stock and your black Craft Ink Pad and Black Embossing Powder. Stamp your "Lovely as a Tree" image with the black craft ink on the glossy paper.

Next cover with black embossing powder.

Gently tap off excess powder.
HINT: Before you stamp your image...you may want to run an embossing buddy over the top of your glossy cs. This makes sure that the powder stays where you want it.

Next using your heat tool, emboss your image.

Next punch a circle out of a piece of post it note on the sticky side.

Get your brayer and your Baja Breeze Ink pad and ink up your brayer VERY well.

Next covering 1/3 of your cs, use the brayer and run it a few times back and forth...making sure that your post it note circle does not move around.

Next using Marina Mist Ink Pad...brayer over the top of the Baja Breeze to give it some depth.

Next pull off your circle post it note.

To make the moon not so stark white...brayer LIGHTLY over the top with Baja Breeze.

This is what I have up to this point.

Clean your brayer off and then using Old Olive Ink - brayer the bottom portion of your cs.

Gently go back and forth without pressing hard.

This is what your project should look like up to this point.

Next I took the Early Espresso Ink pad and a sponge and sponged the bottom of my card.

I also then sponged around the edges.

While your Early Espresso pad is out...stamp a greeting of your choice. Then cut down a smidge & layer onto cs. Add desired embelishments.

OPTIONAL: Using the Signo White Gel Pen...add some stars in the sky.

Your card is now complete!
I think this is just such a striking card. My thanks to Rachel Brumely and Michelle Zindorff for sharing their talents.
Good Luck & have fun trying this great technique out!

2 comments:

Marti said...

I really like this card. I am looking for ideas for boys in their teens for a volunteer group I teach crafts to. They are there by court order but I try to make some of the cards manly. I like the tree and moon effect. Would you mind if I demoed this for them to recreate?

Kendra Richardson said...

Not at all - if you just make sure to give credit to Michelle Zindorff and Rachel Brummley for the original idea. I know it's hard to come up with guy cards sometimes...so good luck with it!